Sunday, October 30, 2011

Scaring Cheerleaders and Smokers




Every 16 year old wants to be cool.





Everything is impressionable at that age, negative  or positive. I was no different. I was a watcher, curious of how other teenagers reacted to things. I didn't exactly envy them, just curious. I watched the kids go sneak off and smoke cigarettes, I remember wondering how they got by with it. I would go to the gym's rest room, and they would be in there, looking all cool, I know, cause as I washed my hands (slowly), I watched them. On how, they held their cigarettes, and sometimes if I was
lucky, a girl smoker would do a smoke ring in the air,as the other would (French inhale) Because I was invisible to them, a Nobody, a girl was not cool, I wasn't mad, I excepted it as a non- groovy life.





But the other kind of girls I really watched, it was the CHEERLEADERS. They were the upper crust, lionesses, princess-celebrity-chicks,beautiful Barbi doll gals,





The top cats on the food chain.



Me in the Pep Squad,1975                    

They were always in a Horde, not herd, that would be heifers.They were always graceful, dainty but strong, with all the popular and unpopular football players well, lets face it, it was ALL the boys around them. I didn't envy them either .               I  admired  them, and I  would revere  from afar.         One day my world changed.   The whole class had to write a Scary story. Any kind, no holds bar. So I wrote a story on a crazy Frankenstein cat that killed, can't remember, been a few years.   There were stories that were funny Some threw paper airplanes and gum wrappers, and booed,but some expected it. But when I stood up and read mine, it took awhile but it dawned on me, there was no paper or gum wrappers, I looked up and the tough smoker girls AND the cheerleaders were listening. I read my story, and as the Frankenstein cat round up killing his master.  I took my seat, and a very blond cheerleader turned around and said "that was really good" then some other cheerleaders chimed in as well, (maybe she was the leader, don't know), I remember my heart beating very fast.Then after the class, I was by my locker, and one of the smokers (wearing a cool Bret) and said" that cat story was cool" My whole world and universe tipped on its axis.  I hope that my writing will make a difference in a persons life,  sad or happy(depending on the story).  Hoping someone that reads any of my writing will believe and respond to their own sensibility. Touch some one's heart and soul. If it wasn't for the smokers and cheerleaders, I don't think I'd be writing,thanks girls.                            

No comments: